What Causes Social Anxiety? Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Does this sound familiar?
- you feel emotional distress in social situations or meeting new people
- you feel emotional distress when you’re the center of attention
- you feel self conscious and embarrassed if you think people are watching you
- you find it easier to talk to people on the internet than in person
- you have fewer friends than you would like to have
- you worry about being embarrassed in front of others
- you struggle with interpersonal relationships (romantic relationships and friendships)
- you fear speaking in front of more than one or two people
- you prefer a job that involves little contact with other people.
- you prefer being alone to relax and unwind rather than social situations
- you have difficulty making eye contact with others
Social anxiety disorder, which is also referred to as social phobia, “involves intense fear of certain social situations-especially situations that are unfamiliar or in which you feel you’ll be watched or evaluated by others.” (read more …)
What Causes Social Anxiety?
“Like many other mental health conditions, social anxiety disorder likely arises from a complex interaction of environment and genes. (read more…)
If you need treatment for social anxiety, find a licensed and experienced mental health professional in your area that specializes in CBT and treating anxiety disorders. If you are in Essex County, NJ feel free to contact Maplewood Counseling at 973-902-8700 or email us.