Do you want to know how to help aging parents?
Many adult children and baby boomers are struggling with how to help their aging parents. They are dealing with very sensitive decisions over how to get a parent or parents to downsize, move to an assisted living facility or nursing home, as well as other issues. These are very difficult decisions that take an emotional and financial toll on everyone.
Does this sound familiar?
- You’re struggling with all the time and money it takes to help your elderly parent(s)
- Your parent is not able to make decisions due to health issues, dementia or Alzheimer’s
- You are very sad about “forcing” the issue with a parent you love dearly and how hard it is for them to make changes
- You parent does not have money to pay for living or health care costs
- You have to deal with your siblings when decision making, which is very challenging
- Then there are adult children who never had a close or positive relationship with one or both parents,
- You have a narcissistic parent and have always had complicated and/or negative feelings about your parent and are stuck with these difficult issues
- You are very worried about what will happen to your own finances to support your parent
- You are trying to manage raising your children and caring for your parents and it’s stressful and overwhelming
How to Help Aging Parents – Some Helpful Resources
- No Easy Task: Getting Aging Parents To Accept Help – “Getting a stubborn aging parent to accept help at home can be a struggle.” Read more
- 8 Things Not to Say to Your Aging Parents – “I’m going to say something politically incorrect here: Sometimes our elderly parents make us a little nuts.” Read more
- About Aging Parents: Something The Government Got Right (For A Change) – “Finally! A great little free booklet to help anyone who has to manage money for an aging parent (or anyone else).” Read more
- Living In Denial About Aging Parents: Oh, Rats! – “If there is one thing that is a consistent theme in my almost daily conversations with clients who have aging parents, it is that one or the other is in denial about how aging changes us.” Read more
- New Tech Inventions for Aging Parents: Will Seniors Use Them? – “There are some great inventions out there to help keep our aging parents safe and better their lives. When a senior’s cooperation is needed to use them, though, it might not be a sure thing.” Read more
Live in New Jersey and need local resources?
- SAGE Eldercare is a unique community resource that offers a comprehensive array of programs and services for older adults and caregivers, promoting independence and quality of life. Learn more
- SAGE – SERVICES & ADVOCACY FOR GLBT ELDERS (SAGE) is the country’s largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Learn More
We hope you find this information on how to help aging parents helpful.