Professional Marriage and Relationship Counseling
A good marriage or couples therapist can help you figure out what to do if you stuck a painful situation. Whether you’re partnered for a short time or married over 20 years, an experienced therapist can help you if you are both open to it.
How can a good therapist help? By help you do learn to do a better job of listening, understanding and responding (rather than reacting) to your partner. When you realize you can’t do things on your own and have to change your approach, seeking help from the right couples therapist is important. If you’re open to it, counselling can help you learn to listen and understand in ways that you haven’t been able to achieve on your own.
Does this sound familiar?
- You’re feeling alone and scared of losing your marriage or a relationship?
- You’re terrified your wife or husband because your spouse has emotionally checked out and is now asking for a divorce.
- You’re stuck in a bad place in your marriage or relationship.
- You’re coping with online cheating, infidelity or an emotional affair.
- You’ve asked for so long to go to counseling and your spouse or partner just basically ignored your requests.
- You’re the one who has ignored your spouse or partner’s pleas for help from the couples therapist because you thought things were fine and now you realize ( and are feeling really scared) because they are not.
- You’re feeling like there’s only a sliver of hope left your marriage or relationship will survive.
If you have come to accept that you cannot change certain things on your own, it’s important to realize what you can change – your willingness to get help, to see what can be done before calling it quits. If you are in abad place in your relationship, you are missing each other. You’re disconnected. Understanding how you got to this place is important.
The distance and disconnect a couple experiences – feeling alone and hopeless, is very painful. Can you reconnect and get to a better place?
If it is possible to reconnect, you can learn what will really help you bring down walls, listen, understand and give your partner what they really need (not assuming what you think they need). This applies with serious issues like infidelity and difficult arguments and communication problems. It does depend on each person and their willingness and ability to work through and heal that painful disconnect.
If you are in need of counseling, a good marriage or couples therapist can help you sort through and figure out your next step. If you’re looking for a couples therapist in New Jersey, get in touch.
Maplewood Counseling provides relationship counseling for couples who are struggling with communication problems, an affair, a crisis or other issues. Marriage counseling and couples therapy is provided to help for all types couples with relationship issues.
Anxiety, Depression, Grief
Get help for depression, anxiety, grief, or low self esteem. Therapy can help if you are going through a difficult time such as coping with a divorce or break-up. A good therapist can help you improve the way you feel and work on making positive changes in your life.
Coping With a Life Crisis
Do you need help getting through a painful time in your life? Are you dealing with an affair or infidelity? Trying to survive a lonely, painful time? Is your child struggling? Are you or a loved one coping with a crisis, serious health issues, or helping aging parents?