Are you and your partner having in-law problems? Do you get mad at your wife or husband for not standing up for you? Maybe you feel like you’re in the middle between your spouse and your family?
Family dynamics and problems with a mother-in-law or father-in-law can cause a couple to feel hurt, angry and misunderstood. Trouble understanding each other‘s perspectives can make matters worse.
Does this sound familiar?
- Your in-laws expect your spouse to put make them a priority and put them number one.
- Your in-laws expect you to visit often or spend certain holidays with them.
- You feel very angry at your partner for not standing up to his or her parents or other family members.
- You hate when your spouse gets quiet rather than confronting his or her family when they don’t handle things well.
- Maybe you dislike your in-laws and would prefer not seeing them, to the extent that you want your spouse to cut them off
- You hate the way your in-laws treat you and get angry at your partner for not protecting you
- You feel like you’re in the middle between your spouse and parents or siblings.
Many couples experience struggles with extended family, at times. In order to resolve issues more effectively, it might be helpful to sit down with an experienced therapist that understands many perspectives and what to do about complicated family dynamics.
You’re not alone when it comes to complicated situations with in-laws. It can be very helpful to work together to manage these situations so it doesn’t impact your marriage or relationship.
If you need help dealing with your in-laws more effectively, get in touch.